Maybe it's Asus motherboards. I have an Asus A7266M-D (dual Athlon) with Adaptec 3210s raid. I've been installing Gentoo for a month. My RAID will run for a while, then tell me a drive is bad. I replace it and it tells me another is bad. In addition I had r 512 meg memory modules. This board won't run without seg faults unless I only put one in(Yes, I used memtest86, rotated modules,did all that for a week - memory is good)so I can only use 512 out of 2 meg.
At one time Asus was a great motherboard but I've been hearing too many horror stories from too many integrators.

How did you change the i/o voltage and what did you set it to. I have a GIt500 in this system.

On Mon, 3 Feb 2003 22:11:38 -0800
Alan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I'm running a k7-900, 450megs of ram, geforce3, and lots of hard >drive (3x80 in raid5, 2x cdroms, another two drives for a raid0 on / >and my winxp partition). The system has a 350watt power supply and >hasn't had oddness like this before. I'm running the gentoo sources >kernel with nothing fancy in it.

I have a asus a7v266-c mb with 768 mb ram, 2kAthlonXp, a msi video card
using nvida drivers.
A7V here too. I seem to remember that asus motherboards have problems
with asus video cards (odd yes, but true, had to bump my io voltage to
keep from crashing under windows), but I don't think the gf3 I have is
asus branded. Similar set up here.

>Should I be trying the vanilla or -ck kernel, or running memtest or >something?

Same problem here, same situation. I put the screen saver to blank
screen instead of eye candy (gl goodies) and it works fine. Nothing else
GL seems to lock it though.
Same solution here too. Sucks to crash with SW raid5, cause rebuilding
parity on a 3x80G array *sucks* :)

alan

--
Alan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> - http://arcterex.net