I am doing my final emerge -u world before finishing
my install.  I *had* a good copy of make.conf with all
my USE variables, CONFIG_PROTECT="-*", and my mcpu
flags.  However, some of the latter packages in the 27
that were needed for the -u world report that some
config files in /etc need updating.  This means
CONFIG_PROTECT is no longer set, so I look at my
make.conf and its back to a generic version.

Yes, I am sure I edited the one thats in
/mnt/gentoo/etc, not the one in <CDroot>/etc.  I
checked my command history, and I did it two steps
before I did emerge -u world.  In the chroot
evironment, I did

nano -w /etc/make.conf

and edited that way

Do some emerges overwrite make.conf?