Longtime gentoo user, confused about what I'm seeing with usb-storage.

What works:
I currently have a usb camera card reader that accepts cf/sm. I have a handful of cf
cards, each of which I can access as /dev/sdb1 and mount via fstab. I can swap them
out all day long and not have a problem.

What doesn't work:
I have a usb2 hba and usb2 external harddrive enclosure with swappable drive trays
(very nice!) ... watching /var/log/messages, when I plug the unit in I get a usb event
but no /dev assignment. If I have hotplug running first, I get a /dev assignment and
can access the disk as normal. However, if plugged in prior to hotplug running, the
only way I can currently get the /dev assignment is a reboot, followed by hotplug then
plugging the device in.

And worse:
Whether or not hotplug is running, if the device is removed (cable unplugged), the
drives swapped and the device re-added, the computer still reports the same harddrive
attached. It actually reports the same drive attached even when unplugged. The end
result is this: once the second drive is in place, any attempt to access it results in
a hang. The system doesn't hang, but the shell does and requires a reboot to clear.

These symptoms appear with both monolithic and modular kernels. I'm running gentoo 1.2
with all software at latest ebuild levels, kernel 2.4.20 with latest xfs merged.
Kernel options include usb, uhci/ehci/sg/sd, etc.

Any clues? A RTFM is warmly welcomed if you tell me WHAT to read. I don't know if
hotplug is even necessary for this, as I've never needed it for my cf/sm reader.

Thanks for ANY help!