Hello, everyone.  I'm a bit of a newbie to Gentoo.  I've had a gentoo web
server up and running for about a month now, but I'm just now installing
it on a desktop machine I have.

FYI, the desktop system is:
Athlon XP 1800+
256 MB DDR RAM
MSI Mobo
WD IDE hdd

Info:
gentoo 1.4_rc2
libc.so.6
gcc 3.2
make.conf has:
CHOST=i686-pc-linux-gnu
CFLAGS=-march=athlon-xp -03 -pipe

Hopefully that'll be of some use once I'm done explaining.  I'm trying to
get KDE up and running, among other things.  However, cups is a
requirement of KDE, so I need cups. However, I die when compiling cups
with this:
Annot.cxx:  C++ Compiler not found on your system
[make dies]

I'm pretty sure I have a c++ compiler, but googling and searching
groups.google.com hasn't turned up anything useful, since I have cc1plus
in there.

So, I'm pretty much halted for the time being.  Again, I'm new to using it
as a desktop, but I'm befuddled since cups emerged FINE on my dual PII
system, which is tweaked for the PII processor.  I have a friend with the
same kind of wierd compilation problems on his athlon-xp system.

I dunno. If this is a known problem, then I apologize for reiterating it,
but if so, please point me to a solution, if any.

Thanks!