hello !

what say's
  less /proc/pci

is there a perhaps Davicom NIC ?

> lsmod shows two NIC modules:
>
> dmfe  (not used)
> 8390          on IRQ17

there's a 8390.c & 8390.h file in /usr/src/linux/drivers/net
(linux-2.4.19-openmosix-r8)
some text out of 8390.c:

  This is the chip-specific code for many 8390-based ethernet adaptors.
  This is not a complete driver, it must be combined with board-specific
  code such as ne.c, wd.c, 3c503.c, etc.

In /usr/src/linux/drivers/net is also a dmfe.c
Text of this file:

 A Davicom DM9102/DM9102A/DM9102A+DM9801/DM9102A+DM9802 NIC fast
 ethernet driver for Linux.

So, you can try to aktivate CONFIG_DM9102 in your .config
or in make menuconfig:
 Network Device Support
 -> Ethernet (10 or 100MBit)
   -> EISA, VLB, PCI and on board controllers
     -> Davicom DM910x/DM980x support

should work.

> when I reboot to gentoo and do modprobe, it finds no
> modules, and sure eough there are no modules in:
> /usr/lib/modules/*/kernel/drivers/net

how can modprobe find modules?
I use modprobe for 'inserting' modules.
for example: modprobe i2c-core

In this directory named by you are only the modules, you have selected for
compilation during configuring the kernel (make menuconfig) and most NIC's
are not compiled by default.

> so I copy those two modules from the CD to my gentoo
> system, and they wont work because they were complied
> for a different kernel

Jep, you will have to recompile your Kernel with Davicom NIC (I think) module.
(or compile you NIC into your Kernel)

But first have a look at your /proc/pci !

Joe