yeah.. this one isn't too bad either, but i'm new to the field... i had just been
hired, and working on a backup script that used `slay` to kick users off the system...
yea, this machine had a huge uptime and was running nis, qmail, bind, etc etc.. i had
never even seen it boot before, as i 'inherited' it.  so first time around, this
script immediately `slay`s all root processes (oops) and frys the vga card because X
was running (who knows why previous admin even had x11 installed). it was so
comfortable to get it *out* of the server cluster and open it up (um... not).  boy did
i learn a thing or two about rpc/nis/nfs that night :)  fun.

On Fri, Feb 07, 2003 at 12:35:41AM +0100, Magnus Lie Hetland wrote:
> Alan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> [snip]
> > Well, ok, maybe not, I have three similar horror stories.
>
> Here is one that happened to me -- not incapacitating, but it
> surprised me a bit (this was when I still ran Red Hat); it was caused
> by me pausing to think after writing rpm the first time...
>
>   rpm rpm -e somepackage
>
> After this I tried to use rpm -qip somepackage to check whether it
> really was uninstalled... And got "bash: rpm: command not found".
>
> > alan
>
> --
> Magnus Lie Hetland               "Nothing shocks me. I'm a scientist."
> http://hetland.org                                   -- Indiana Jones

''Wisdom is the companion of patience''

       ,-~~-.___.
      / |  '     \

Brett Ryan Campbell
Systems Administrator, CAD Research Center
Cal Poly State University, San Luis Obispo, CA 93407
http://www.cadrc.calpoly.edu/frameset_content/content_about_us.html