Well I usually installed linux in a single partition with a swap partition in
another hard drive for better performance. I never till lately have used extra
partitions for /boot or /usr. However the second hard drive was needed to make a
second pc boot so I ended up with no swap on a pc with 256RAM. Well everything worked
just fine but after a couple of moster apps where loaded the system started running
slower. So I tried to find a place to put the swap partition. I did an fdisk and saw a
little partition about 150MB laying around (my /boot) and as I had never before used
an extra /boot partition I though it was a forgotten swap drive, so 'mkswap /dev/hda2'
and.... OMG! No more booting for my gentoo :-(
  Another horror story comes from a friend of mine. He managed to get a beta version
of win2k back when they where about to be released and decided to give it a try. Well
everything went fine during the installation and he wanted to try to run a game to see
if it runs. The game run fine but the strange thing was that even when he quited from
the game the cpu usage was 100%. So he reboots the machine only to find that win2k
wasn't booting any more. Record time of OS destruction: 10mins of usage! Reason:
unknown...