My horror story arose from playing with mc as root. I had to be root to
mount some loopback device, then wanted to play with the contents so
just went into midnight commander. I managed to untar a file by mistake
and it had a whole lot of /etc entries that overwrote the system files.
Like /etc/passwd, /etc/group, and a few others. Luckily I had backed them
up! I paniced for a while, luckily I didn't log out, cos I
wouldn't have known how to get back in - the new /etc/passwd basically
had no accounts in it!

On Mon, 10 Feb 2003 21:38:30 +0100
Vlad Berditchevskiy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Magnus Lie Hetland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > How about:
> >
> >   cd
> >   rm * ~
> >

> Another one:
>
> cd
> rm -r *>ps
>
> (should have been "*.ps", '.' and '>' are on the same key)
>
> --
> \  /                                       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>  \/lad                                     http://www.hashbang.de

Nick Rout <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>