Sorry about the two messages, I had to do that email online and the page
wasn't refreshing so when i refreshed the page it sent the mail twice,
anyway....

I've solved part of the problem i was having.  I noticed that there is
this this file: ~/.gconfd/saved_state that gnome creates, except mine
was over 500 MB.  I assume that gnome checks this file and so when I run
gnome programs it loads this into memory.  I deleted the file and now
everything works fine.

Nautilus seems to be the problem.  When I start it, a few dozen
instances are loaded at once, causing enlightenment to beserk as it
tries to sort them out. Nautilus also seems to be loading its desktop
despite the --no-desktop parameter.  I think it keeps loading nautilus
over and over indefinatly.  This seems to be creating the giant
saved_state file.

Anyway, if anyone else is having a problem with gnome programs in
another wm it's probably because of an enormous .gconfd/saved_state
file.

-Arlo