On Sunday 16 Feb 2003 13:56, Paulo J. Matos wrote:
> > One of the HOWTOs:
> > /usr/share/doc/HOWTO/HTML/en/IP-Masquerade-HOWTO/index.html
> >
> > Peter
>
> Hi Peter,
>
> Thanks for your kind reference to the HOWTO but it seems that the
> problem is not with netfilter but I just would like to ask if there is
> a better way to add those two lines to the gentoo initialization
> scripts. I know I can create a file called net.sharing in /etc/init.d
> and do something like: rc-update add net.sharing default
>
> But I'd like to know if there is a better way to do it. Anyway, I could
> not check the howto since I do not have access yet to a browser in
> gentoo linux. Anyway, if that's the original howto and not modified by
> gentoo people I already have it here with me. :)
>
> Thx,
>
> Paulo

OK, this is how gentoo does it. Start /etc/init.d/iptables and use the
iptables command to make your rules.  Your rules are saved in
/var/lib/iptables/rules-save.  Here's my /etc/conf.d/iptables:

# Location in which iptables initscript will save set rules on
# service shutdown
IPTABLES_SAVE="/var/lib/iptables/rules-save"

# Change to "yes" to enable forwarding support in the kernel.  Please
# note that this will override any setting placed in /etc/sysctl.conf.
ENABLE_FORWARDING_IPv4="yes"
ENABLE_FORWARDING_IPv6="no"

#Options to pass to iptables-save and iptables-restore
SAVE_RESTORE_OPTIONS="-c"

Peter
--
Gentoo-1.4.2.8 Unstable. KDE: 3.1.0 Qt: 3.1.0
AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1900+ 512MB.  Kernel: 2.4.20-xfs_pre6.        GCC 3.2.2