On Sat, 15 Feb 2003 23:11:35 +0800
William Kenworthy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Not using gnome, but fluxbox.  Nautilus has lots of bad things that I
> am trying to avoid on a low memory, slow processor machine.
>
> idesk has some anoying problems ranging from reqiring *3* mouse click
> to execute an icon (two machines) to segfaulting on another, so I am
> looking for a lightweight alternative.

I'm using blackbox and for the filemanger I use either xftree(which I
think comes with xfce which I also have installed) and also I find
Endeavour Mark 2 is quite good(it's just listed as endeavour tho if you
do an emerge search).  It has a nice archiver in it, image browser, and
the usual filemanger(except it also has a recycle bin along with one or
two other things).  I liked nautilus but didn't want to have to install
all that goes with it so opted to try endeavour and xftree.

As for a replacement to the idesk thing try the wm dock app called
wmappl.  Note you need 16x16 icons for it... but it's quite handy for
launching things.  I'm using several of the wm dock apps in the silt and
find them quite handy.