Eric Miller said:
> OK....here's the deal.
>
> The nividia module has "changed" somehow recently, as
> the posts of others and my experiences have shown.
> Here's the how to in a nutshell.

Yes, it has changed.

In any of the NVidia drivers prior to the 4xxx series the module was
called "NVdriver".

In the NVidia drivers of the 4xxx series the module that is built is
called "nvidia".

This was a change done by NVidia and *not* by any Gentoo devs, it is
detailed in the README that comes with the NVidia drivers and is installed
by Gentoo (/usr/share/docs/somewhere).

> Step One- Don't follow the Gentoo Desktop Guide

Do follow the Desktop Guide, just be aware that the guide was written
prior to the release of the 4xxx series drivers and has not been updated.
It probably needs to have a bug filed at bugs.gentoo.org.

> Step Two- *Do* follow the Nvidia README and do a
> regular build from source, not an emerge.
> Step Three- *Do* add it to modules.autoload
>
> I followed the README step-by-step, and now its
> working fine.  Only catch is, just putting "nvidia" in
> XF86Config doesn't work.  I have to insmod nvidia,
> then startx...voila: Nvidia splash screen with no
> errors.  So, unless you want to insmod at every
> reboot...put it in modules.autoload (unless it works
> for you just putting it in Xconfig)

OK, I think the problem here is that the "nvidia" module (4xxx series
drivers) is installed into:
 /lib/modules/`uname -r`/video (or something similar)

When it should actually be installed into:
 /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/video

I *think* that is why the module does not get loaded on demand when X
starts and you need to put it into modules.autoload.

Additionally the file /etc/modules.d/aliases probably needs to have the
following changed:
 alias char-major-195 NVdriver

to:
 alias char-major-195 nvidia

If you move the module to the correct location then everything works.

Note: the above paths are from memory, when I get back to my box I'll
confirm them, but you should get the idea.

--
     Troy Dack

     http://linux.tkdack.com