OK....here's the deal.

The nividia module has "changed" somehow recently, as
the posts of others and my experiences have shown.
Here's the how to in a nutshell.

Step One- Don't follow the Gentoo Desktop Guide
Step Two- *Do* follow the Nvidia README and do a
regular build from source, not an emerge.
Step Three- *Do* add it to modules.autoload

I followed the README step-by-step, and now its
working fine.  Only catch is, just putting "nvidia" in
XF86Config doesn't work.  I have to insmod nvidia,
then startx...voila: Nvidia splash screen with no
errors.  So, unless you want to insmod at every
reboot...put it in modules.autoload (unless it works
for you just putting it in Xconfig)