Eric Miller wrote:

Attatched are my XF86Config, the
/var/log/XFree86.0.log, and the results of find /
-name "nvidia">find.log

My make.conf is nothing special:USE="X gtk gnome alsa
kde qt". I have both gnome and KDE included coz I use
some gtk apps. My optimizations are mild, just
CFLAGS="-mcpu=pentium3 -O3 -pipe"

My X works fine in regular mode, with KDE 3.1 and
WindowMaker. Its when I try to glx and 3D that I have
trouble. Here's what I do:

emerge nvidia-kernel
emerge nvidia-glx
opengl-update nvidia

then I edit the Xconfig to load glx and use driver
"nvidia". startx=nodice

modprobe nvidia returns module not found
lsmod returns dmfe, my NIC module only
/etc/modules.d/nvidia reads :

alias char-major-195 NVdriver

Hi,

I got this error some time ago but I am not sure how I fixed it. I assume the ebuilds installed fine with no unusual complaints.
Try the follwing:
First remove the Load "dri" from your modules section. The rest of your config looks good, except you might try adding some modelines if nothing else helps.
Now for the module. Check in /lib/modules/'kernelversion' (not sure about the subdir there) if you can find the nvidia module (name depends on driver version as Jimmy pointed out. If its there, make sure that your entry in /etc/modules.d/nvidia is correct and run modules-update. The next step would be to try startx again.
If it still complains about the nvidia modules, then try loading the module by hand using the module name you found in the modules-dir. This should work giving you the complaint about tainting the kernel.
If you do not use devfs you have to add the module to modules.autoload.
If it all does not help just come back.

Christian