What are you trying to do?? Any distro will tell you a service is started if it's already running. You do a /etc/init.d/service restart if you want to restart it. This is equivalent of a stop then a start. Gentoo's init service is the same as all the others - the directories may be different but they all do /etc/somedir/servicename start/stop/restart/... .

On Tue, 18 Feb 2003 15:38:31 -0500