On Wednesday 19 February 2003 1:11 pm, Sundance wrote:
> I heard Phil Barnett said:
> > If I have a room full of several differing servers and I'm and admin,
> > the last thing I want to have to remember in the heat of the moment
> > is how to do something on _this_ machine.
>
> Hmm, then I'd say it's pretty much -your- responsibility, not Gentoo's,
> to add this abstraction layer the way -you- want it.

Perhaps this is true, but if you can admit that you are more likely to have a
room full of RH servers than a room full of Gentoo or any other distro
servers, you are on the way to my point. And, this mythical room full of
servers is statistically proven. RH has more servers out there.

> I mean, you want your room full of servers working the RH way, and
> that's fine, but other people may very well prefer their abstraction to
> work the Debian or the BSD way, and there is no compelling reason for
> Gentoo to favor a system over any other. (If anything, the Gentoo way
> is IMO more modern and more powerful, so I'd rather port it to other
> distros than the other way around!)

I don't have any problems with that, but everyone here is biased. The fact is
that there are more RH servers out there than any other single distro. With
that said, I do see that RH has symlinked /etc/init.d to /etc/rc.d/init.d.

Didn't know that was there. Learned RH long before that.

> Besides, it's not like writing this abstraction layer was anywhere near
> difficult, as the many fine scripts already posted here show. :)

Exactly, and it's not just in RH by the way. At any rate, that service script
is already on more servers that you give credit for.

> Good luck with Gentoo, Phil, I hope you'll enjoy it!

Well, it's been my desktop for about 6 months and I'm doing just fine with it.
I just miss the service abstraction that I've become used to from several
other distros.

And, yes, I can put it there. But, being such a small script and being as
widely used as it is, I don't see any reason for it to not be in there. There
are literally dozens of other abstractions that we all take for granted in
nearly every distro. This is just another one.

I'll not tilt at windmills. It's not for me to say which abstractions you
never notice and which you do.

I'm sure you will agree that you take advantage of dozens of abstractions just
like that one every day...