From: Matt Tucker [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, February 24, 2003 12:22 PM
To: Alexander Farber
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to strip "gentoo-user" from subject with
procmail

-- Alexander Farber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> spake thusly:

> Is there a way to remove the string "[gentoo-user]" from
> the mail subjects of this mailing list? At the moment it
> is difficult for me to skim through the subjects with mutt
> if the xterm window isn't wide enough.
>
> I've read "man procmailex", "man formail" and am rereading
> "man procmail" but haven't found a solution yet.

Change:

    :0:
    * ^List-Id:.*gentoo-user\.gentoo\.org
    .$YEARMONTH-Gentoo/

to:

    :0
    * ^List-Id:.*gentoo-user\.gentoo\.org
    {
        :0hf
        | formail -fc | sed -e '/^Subject:/ s,\[gentoo-user\] ,,g'

        :0:
        .$YEARMONTH-Gentoo/
    }

Note that while I'm sure this will work, I haven't actually tested it.
So be sure to try it out before installing it and letting it run. You
could use something like:

    procmail .procmailrc.new < test.message