built a 1.4rc2 system on a PIII dual 933 system.  This is an all SCSI system
with an Adaptec 3210S raid card and an Adaptec 39160 SCSI card running a RAID
5 array.

When I boot it tells me

kmod: fialde to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k scsi_hostadapter, errno=2
kmod: fialde to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k scsi_hostadapter, errno=2

and my dpt_i2o drivers do not get loaded.

I've used this same card successfully in a dual AMD Athlon 1.9 system and
both the livecd and the build booted.  However, on this system I had to boot
using Knoppix because the livecd would not detect the 3210S card - modprobe
told me no such device.

What does this error mean or more importantly why does Gentoo not see the
3210S card on this system when a RH 7.3 rescue CD and Knoppix both see the
card without problems - to say nothing of the fact that the liveCD on an AMD
works.

I built the system and used LILO as the boot loader.  This system was a clean
system to start with and after I setup lilo.conf I did a /sbin/lilo.  I had a
boot=/dev/sda in LILO's global and for the image section I had
/root=/dev/sda2.

--

Brett I. Holcomb
AKA Grunt <><