Hello All,

    I'm having some trouble installing RC3 using a software RAID setup.
The problem is very bizarre but I think the answer is simple I'm just
missing a set somewhere.
        The machine I'm wanting to install is an Athlon-XP 2600 with
512MB or RAM and I have 2 80GB Western Digital drives (both with 8MB
on-board cache) configured to be primary devices on IDE channel 1 and
IDE channel 2.  I know the hardware works because I've ran Windows 2000
with a software RAID and Red Hat 8.0 with a software RAID on this same
exact box so it's pretty safe to say my problem is hardware related.
        When I start installing Gentoo I have to kick it off with the
"nonet" and "cdcache" options.  nonet is needed because my machine hangs
at the detection of NIC card and I throw in cdcache because the cd-rom
drive on that box is really loud and I don't want to generate more noise
then needed.  The install kick-off fine and I do a "modprobe md" to load
the software RAID drives no problem.  Next I partition my drives the
following way (both drives are partitioned the exact same way):

/dev/had:

/dev/hda1       /boot   100MB
/dev/hda2       swap    512MB
/dev/hda3       /home   20,000MB
/dev/hda4       /       59,000MB

/dev/hdc:

/dev/hdc1       /boot   100MB
/dev/hdc2       swap    512MB
/dev/hdc3       /home   20,000MB
/dev/hdc4       /       59,000MB

        Partitioning gives me no problems everything is dandy up to this
point.  I want to have my /boot and my /home as a RAID 1 (mirrored)
drive and my / as a RAID 0 (stripped) drive so in the /etc/raidtab file
I put this:

# /boot (RAID 1)
raiddev                 /dev/md0
raid-level                      1
nr-raid-disks                   2
chunksize                       32
persistent-superblock           1
device                          /dev/hda1
raid-disk                       0
device                          /dev/hdc1
raid-disk                       1

# / (RAID 0)
raiddev                 /dev/md2
raid-level                      0
nr-raid-disks                   2
chunksize                       32
persistent-superblock           1
device                          /dev/hda4
raid-disk                       0
device                          /dev/hdc4
raid-disk                       1

# /home (RAID 1)
raiddev                 /dev/md2
raid-level                      1
nr-raid-disks                   2
chunk-size                      32
persistent-superblock           1
device                          /dev/hda3
raid-disk                       0
device                          /dev/hdc3
raid-disk                       1

        Nothing fancy just the basic stuff.  Next I create my RAID
devices with "mkraid".  I make sure the drives have stopped working
between issuing command even though I get a command prompt back while
the devices are being created.  I put file-systems on them and I turn
both swap drives on.  Doing a "cat /proc/mdstat" shows that all RAID
devices are up and running as expected.  Everything looks good.  Next I
mount the RAID devices:

mkdir /mnt/gentoo
mount /dev/md2 /mnt/gentoo
mkdir /mnt/gentoo/boot
mount /dev/md0 /mnt/gentoo/boot

        I download a stage-1 tarball from ibiblio under /mnt/gentoo and
untar it successfully.  I mount the proc directory with "mount -o bind
/proc /mnt/gentoo/proc" successfully also and copy over resolv.conf (cp
/etc/resolv.conf /mnt/gentoo/etc/resolv.conf) and my raidtab file (cp
/etc/raidtab /mnt/gentoo/etc/raidtab).  I edit my /etc/make.conf file
and I kick off the bootstrap process.  Everything is fine up until this
point.  My problems begin right after.
        When the bootstrap process is done and I do a "df" I get an
error message saying "could not read mounted file system files".  If I
type in any command the command never completes it just hangs (not even
CTRL+C can kill it).  Once I even manged to do a complete successful
"emerge system" and then I got the same error messages.  I'm thinking
that my file system becomes MIA at some point during the bootstrap
and/or the emerge process, however I do NOT get an error messages during
either process about file systems not being able to be found.  Can
anyone hint at what I'm doing wrong ?  Any feedback would be much
appreciated.  I'm completely out of ideas at this point...

-Pete