> 1)Where can I find the log file to tell me what I've compiled wrong in the
> kernel?

Poke around /var/log.  Depending on what logger you are using, the files
will be in different places.  I'm using metalog and get some kernel
messages in /var/log/kernel.  The best thing is to just keep a watchful
eye on bootup.

> 2)Does any sort of X display exist at the basic level

Not unless you've installed X :)  You can try GPM for mouse support
(remember to start it up with '/etc/init.d/gpm start').

> 3)Could someone point me to doc's to download and install KDE3.1

Just type an 'emerge kde' and you're good to go.  If you have problems,
check the Gentoo forums or the mailing list archives.  Also, if you
haven't, check out the Gentoo Desktop Guide
(http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/desktop.xml).

Good luck!

--

Alec Berryman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>