Well I do all my programming, for years now, with: gvim: Editor, LOTS of handy programer friendly features. autoconf, automake and make: Build control gdb and printf: Debugging CVS: Revision control

Sounds like you almost got the hang of it. Why not use CVS though and if your experiment doesnt work delete it and update from cvs. If it does work commit the changes...

Mitch wrote:
Hi all.

I have been playing with linux stuff for a while, but I'd like to actualy program some things for it. Don't know what yet, but Prob first thing is gonna be something for fluxbox.

I'd like to know what tools are best to do this.
I've been hacking into some sourcecode with xedit and managed to get some windowmaker
apps smaller so it looks cool in fluxbox (screenhungry and a lot of the monitor apps
take a little too much space for my liking)
The programming was just trial and error.
edit some stuff, copy folder, make and if it works, make install.
if not, revert back and start over/.
surely there must be an easier way to edit, test, or even modulebased like kylix.
I'd like to be able to just load in some sourcecode and then edit, and see what it
does. I know gnomeapps, kde apps and windowmaker apps are all different, but what
tools do you developers use beside basic editors.
I heard about kdevelop, but i'd like to be able to write something without use of
heavy libs.

thx