I've been seeing a lot of errors recently with Portage (right up through the current
stable version (portage-2.0.47-r7). Here are a couple of examples:

emerge'ing ncurses on sparc (I think):
open_wr:   /var/cache/edb/mtimedb
chown:     /var/cache/edb
chown:     /var/cache/edb/dep
open_wr:   /var/cache/edb/mtimedb
chown:     /var/cache/edb
chown:     /var/cache/edb/dep
open_wr:   /var/cache/edb/mtimedb
chown:     /var/cache/edb
chown:     /var/cache/edb/dep
open_wr:   /var/cache/edb/mtimedb

I've seen this with other packages as well.

I was also working on an ebuild for libgnomedb-0.9.0 last night and received the
following errors (ACCESS VIOLATIONS):
open_wr:   /var/lib/scrollkeeper/scrollkeeper_docs
open_wr:   /var/lib/scrollkeeper/scrollkeeper_docs

Both types of errors are fatal and I'm running into a lot of roadblocks these days
with similar errors. Getting to be very frustrating. I haven't had any luck doing
Google or forum searches. Is anyone else running into similar errors? If so, is there
a workaround?

Ric