Ian> Could we not just check the last modified date vs. the create
Ian> date and if they match, assume the file has not been altered? Or
Ian> am I not as clear as I thought I was on what those two represent?

It would be better to keep track of hashes of the conf files in
addition to the inode data.  As an example, rpm's verify option gives
these types of reports for changed files:

    :; rpm -V vim
    S.5....T c /etc/vimrc
    S.5....T   /usr/share/vim/vim61/syntax/rpl.vim

This shows that I've modified the config file /etc/vimrc (the file
Size, Md5 sum and mTime have changed since vim was installed) as well
as the non-config file rpm.vim.  As such, if I upgrade vim /etc/vimrc
will not be replaced, but the new version will be installed at
vimrc.rpmnew.  If I were to erase vim, /etc/vimrc would be kept
behind, in a changed filename, because it had been modified.

It looks like emerge does record a hash for config files, as well as
some of the inode data for all installed files, so most of the
infrastructure to duplicate rpm's capabilities wrt verifying is
already there.

I do not see hashes for non-config files though, so verifying a
package's integrity is not yet possible.

-JimC