I heard Matthew Daubenspeck said:

> Drat. Do you have any problems when using it with alsa?

No problem here, my VT8233 works very fine.

> If I am using
> XMMS and browsing the web, anytime the flash plugin is called, I get
> a "device busy" and the browser locks up until I stop XMMS. The
> browser then works again...

That sound chip does indeed not seem to support hardware PCM mixing,
which would allow several sounds to be played at the same time, so the
mixing has to be done in software. KDE's sound server, aRts, might be
your solution, though I'll admit I'm not too fond of it myself. If you
do use it, be sure to configure its device release time to some low
value -- no more than a few seconds.

HTH,

-- S.