Doug Gorley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

  [ ... ]

> Thanks to everyone for the replies.  I wasn't really concerned,
> since I'm already seeing a huge performance boost since installing
> the extra 512MB of RAM, but I thought it was curious that it was
> still even looking at the swap.  Now I know; I can always turn off
> the swap!

  why would you turn off swap?  have faith that the memory is being
  used well, it is.  almost half of your RAM was used for caches in
  your earlier post.  that alone is a good way to make the box feel
  more responsive.

  add to this that only 7MiB is being swapped, and that you didn't
  show what these 7MiB where.  my guess is that this is something the
  kernel is making an accurate assessment about, that this stuff will
  not be needed for a good while and that even free memory is more
  worth to the system.

--
Terje