Probably nothing you're doing wrong.  I've got the problem with a SCSI RAID
(Adaptec 3210S).  Gentoo can find it on an AMD system I have but on my PIII
it never sees it - yet RH 7.3 and Knoppix see it with absolutely no problem.
I've filed a bug but it hasn't been assigned to anyone yet.

I'd suggest you try using Knoppix (www.knoppix.net). Download it, burn the CD
and boot.  It will probably find it.  That's what I did to get Gentoo
installed.  Once I was up in Knoppix I scp'd the stage 1 tarball to the PIII.

--

Brett I. Holcomb
AKA Grunt <><