try this as root: lsof | grep -i listen
then yell have the names of the processes opening certain ports....

On Thu, 2003-03-13 at 09:40, Pius Lee wrote:
> Hi, I recently used nmap to portscan my machine from another pc and
> found that i've got the following ports open:
>
> 22 (ssh)
> 25 (smtp)
> 113 (pop-3)
>
> Now, I'm very sure that I only started the sshd daemon and I DON'T even
> have an smtp/pop3/any kind of mail server installed. Running "netstat -l
> -p --inet" gives:
>
> Active Internet connections (only servers)
> Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address           Foreign Address         State
> PID/Program name
> tcp        0      0 *:sunrpc                *:*                     LISTEN
> 5168/portmap
> tcp        0      0 localhost:731           *:*                     LISTEN
> 5219/fam
> udp        0      0 *:sunrpc                *:*
> 5168/portmap
> tcp        0      0 *:ssh                   *:*                     LISTEN
> 6564/sshd
>

> I don't see port 25 or 113 open, but why does nmap list them as so?
> Blocking the ports with iptables would probably solve the problem, but
> to get to the root of it, would tracking the daemons responsible for
> opening them be a better solution? How should I go about doing it then?
>
> Thanks for all comments and feedback!

Nicholas Hockey (Tilt) <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Unix Administrator
Encrypted E-Mail is preferred..
GnuPG KeyID 4EDE2B84
Key fingerprint = B916 6032 BE3D 490D 2A08  F1BC 948A A4C1 4EDE 2B84
HKP: gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 4EDE2B84
LDAP: gpg --keyserver ldap://keyserver.pgp.com --recv-keys 4EDE2B84