Just to play. :)

I heard Nicholas Hockey said:

> oh and all of you can flame me if you like but i will never like that
> bloated,

True, but not as much as people who didn't actually look into it will
tell you, thanks to its very modular design.

> non-standard,

Untrue.
http://developer.kde.org/documentation/standards/

> annoying,

Only if you configure it to be so. That's the main selling point of KDE:
it does what you tell it to do.

> breaks at random for no apparent reason,

True to some extent for .0 releases, alright. :p

> ugly

Untrue. Unless you purposefully configure it to make it so.

> (if i wanted a windows interface i would install
> windows)

Interesting how attacks on KDE always seem to criticize it for being
"just like Windows". This alone is generally sufficient to severely
affect the attacker's credibility as someone who has no idea what
they're talking about, though.

Because KDE is very powerful and flexible, it -can- be made to look and
behave like Windows. Some distros actually ship it that way. But while
the possibility exists, it is by no mean a diktat, and most KDE users
actually make it look and behave the way -they- want, which is more
often than not kind of antiwindowsy. :p

> non portable

This pretty much contradicts what I've heard, but I can't personally
say. I've only ran KDE on various Linux distributions.

> (i don't care what you say c++ compiler are so
> nonstandard trying to get kde to compile on Linux is a  chore, and
> it's the OS it was designed on!)

...?
I dunno. Almost all the distros ship with binary KDE packages, to start
with, and those that don't generally make its installation as simple as
'emerge kde'.

> for gods sake why can there just be a window manager that looks nice,
> is easily configurable, and does what i want, gives me a menu and a
> way to manipulate windows......

Err, isn't that just what most WM (including KDE) do?

> OH WAIT THERE IS! enlightenment, a
> lil old and not maintained hardly at all anymore, BUT still 100x
> better than the alternatives....

I don't know. I never found Enlightment practical enough to justify its
bloated feel, but it's pretty much a matter of personal taste, I guess.
As far as lightweight WMs go I tend to prefer WindowMaker, but YMMV.

And just to keep balance in all things under the sun, I'm not /that/
happy with KDE, either. Release 3.1.0 has a few annoying bugs, and the
press release really sucked (buzzwords, little factual information,
etc).

But I can still understand why KDE is the most popular desktop
environment out there. Powerful, flexible, does what you want, doesn't
get in the way. Provides a consistent feel across applications to make
use convenient for the user AND for the developper. In short, it's a
tool, and not an end in itself. The way WMs were meant to be in the
first place.

-- S.