Yes, i am using "cdrecord -scanbus" as root and the drives are detected
at boot and are accessible from their /dev/hdx homes and /dev/scsi/ is
empty and no trace of anything scsi in /dev/sdaX

Output from dmesg:
hdb: ATAPI 48X DVD-ROM drive, 512kB Cache
Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.12
hdc: ATAPI 32X CD-ROM CD-R/RW drive, 2048kB Cache

On Sat, 2003-03-15 at 21:33, Jason Giangrande wrote:
> Aaron,
>
> Are you trying scanbus as root?  If so have you tried running dmesg to
> see if your cd-r is detected at boot?
>
> Jason
>
> On Sun, 2003-03-16 at 00:10, Aaron Matteson wrote:
> > I am having a problem, maybe someone can shed some light on this for me.
> > Here is the situation. I am trying to get ide-scsi emulation going, i
> > have done this on numerous occasions.
> >
> > Here is what i have kernel-wise:
> > 1. v2.4.20-gaming-r1 kernel sources
> > 2. <M>   SCSI emulation support
> > 3. <*> SCSI support
> > 4. <M>   SCSI CD-ROM support
> > 5. <M>   SCSI generic support
> >
> > lines added to modules.autoload:
> > 1. ide-scsi
> > 2. sg
> > 3. sr_mod
> >
> > grub.config
> > 1. title=Gentoo Linux 2.4.20 Gaming
> > 2. root (hd0,1)
> > 3. kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.20-gaming root=/dev/hda9 vga=791 hdb=ide-scsi
> > 4. hdc=ide-scsi
> >
> > And after a reboot i try cdrecord -scanbus and this is the output:
> >
> > cdrecord -scanbus
> > Cdrecord 2.0 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2002 Jörg Schilling
> > cdrecord: No such file or directory. Cannot open '/dev/pg*'. Cannot open
> > SCSI driver.
> > cdrecord: For possible targets try 'cdrecord -scanbus'. Make sure you
> > are root.
> > cdrecord: For possible transport specifiers try 'cdrecord dev=help'.
> >

> > Can anyone shed any light on this dilema? i have searched almost
> > everywhere and cannot figure this out.
> >
> > tia

Aaron M. Matteson
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.loreland.com

Never tell people how to do things.  Tell them WHAT to
do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.
-Gen. George S. Patton, Jr.