On Mon, 2003-03-17 at 01:56, Ralph F. De Witt wrote:

> Recompliled my kernel and compiled in all the stuff even the stuff you have
> listed as modules. But the floppy is still not reading any disk. Complianing
> about not being able to identifiy the filesystem and one not being specified.
> I am wondering if I have a access permissions problem? Thank you for your help
> and any other assistance would be appreciated.

Did you add your user to the floppy group in /etc/group ?

On my box:

bash-2.05b# cat /etc/group | grep floppy
floppy::11:root,arturo,katia,michele

Check the permissions, owner and group of files in /dev/floppy.
I don't know why, but on my box they belong to arturo:floppy with rw
permissions for user and group. I'm not an expert of devfs, so since it
works on my PC I'm not going to investigate why the floppy devices
belong to a user and not to root. Maybe someone in the list can explain
that.

--
Arturo di Gioia

web:
 http://www.ing.unitn.it/~digioia/
PGP public key:
 http://www.ing.unitn.it/~digioia/files/adg_gpg_pub.asc

Registered Linux user #230853 (http://counter.li.org).

Instructions for using my e-mail address:
http://netiquette.info/