I suspect something between gentoo and OO fontwise is very broken.  Some
wondows fonts I have been using with OO for around a year (inc mandrake
and OO) do not work right with 1.02, but are fine with 1.01 (added with
the spadmin utility)  I get presentations with no text in some views,
tabs with no text etc, very poor menu appearance, some settings in the
OO options lose the menu text (micro sized when anti-alias is
deselected)  There is a font guide on the OO website, but it does not
fix these problems.  deselecting all my fonts has given me a partial OO
back, but without good fonts its a lame duck!

In the meantime, I am recompiling the older version (as a package this
time!), but have two systems with this problem to fix, a third I was
just getting around to upgrading has 1.01 and works fine.  I filed a bug
with OO, but they are very slow on the bug side.

BillK