I agree totally with Tyler.  If you need an operational system while you
install KNOPPIX is the way to go.  It also does a rather incredible job of
autodetecting hardware... so on a new machine a:
# lsmod
# cat /proc/pci
and copy over the XF86config-4 or at least look at it as well as all the
pertinent stuff in /etc will get you on the road to a pain free Gentoo
install (start Gentoo instructions around step 6, in install doc).  Also,
if you would like to actually be able to do real work in the ~20+hrs it
will take to install to a full KDE you can emerge in 'nice' mode.  I
usually use:

# nice -15 emerge [program names]

which will compile full speed when you aren't doing anything but slow the
build to a trickle if you really need CPU time.

Cheers,

Jason