On Fri, 21 Mar 2003 10:26:28 -0500
Trey Sizemore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I was thinking of installing Gentoo on my maching starting this
> afternoon.  My machine in a PII400 with 512M RAM, ATI All-inWonder 128
> video, CD-RW, 48X CD, Iiyama 450.  Would it be realistic if I started
> install (my first Gentoo install - currently dual-booting WinXP and
> Libranet 2.7) at stage 1 this afternoon, that I could have a functioning
> (KDE, email, browser) up and running by tomorrow sometime?  If so, I'll
> probably give it a try.
>
> Thanks.

I run Gentoo on a pIII 700 mobile with 512 mb on a 5400 hd,
I start at stage 3, get my system up as far as I can to boot into it normaly and then
I run an emerge -e world. For Fluxbox, Xfree 4.3.0, Win4Lin, Sylpheed, Phoenix and
Xine, it takes a total of about 7 hrs.
doing it this way takes me less userinput while still have everything optimized for my
system.
after my boot in my Gentoo system, I run emerge -ef world for about 10 minutes in one
terminal, and when Perl is downloaded, I start emerge -e world in another terminal.
This way, all the files are already there when the compiling is started.

runs like a charm.
KDE 3.1 took me about 22 hrs to compile on this system.
You could start with kdebase first (takes about 5 hrs) and then add packages as you
need them.
(kdegames, kdenetwork etc etc)