On Fri, 2003-03-21 at 20:38, Renat Golubchyk wrote:
> Hi!
>
> After emerging kde I started kdm (as stated in the Desktop
> Configuration Guide). I logged on as normal user and spent some time
> playing around with it. I also added xdm to the default runlevel with
> 'DISPLAYMANAGER=kdm' in /etc/rc.conf . Then I wanted to see how it
> boots, so I rebooted the machine and kdm came up just fine. There was
> only one problem though: user panel contained all of the users, i.e.
> except me and root there were all of the virtual users like 'nobody',
> 'mysql', 'qmaild', etc. And the drop-down menu where you can select
> the window manager showed only 'default' and 'failsafe', no 'kde' or
> 'kde-3.1.1'.

In /etc/rc.conf there's a variable "XSession":

# XSESSION is a new variable to control what window manager to start
# default with X if run with xdm, startx or xinit.  The default behavior
# is to look in /etc/X11/Sessions/ and run the script in matching the
# value that XSESSION is set to.  The support scripts is smart enouth to
# look in all bin directories if it cant find a match in
/etc/X11/Sessions/,
# so setting it to "enligtenment" can also work.  This is basically used
# as a way for the system admin to configure a default system wide WM,
# allthough it will work if the user export XSESSION in his
.bash_profile, etc.
#
# NOTE: this behaviour is overridden when a ~/.xinitrc or ~/.xsession
exists
#       for the particular program run ( ~/.xinitrc for startx, ... ).
#
# Defaults depending on what you install currently include:
#
# Gnome - will start gnome-session
# kde-<version> - will start startkde (ex: kde-3.0.2)
# Xsession - will start a terminal and a few other nice apps

#XSESSION=Gnome

> Does anybody know where the kdm config files are located, so I can
> delete all of the virtual user from the kdm user list and change the
> drop-down menu?

Can't you do it from the KDE Control Panel?  I don't have KDE running on
my computer but I do remember there being a whole configuration screen
for KDM.

> BTW, if I launch X with 'startx' as normal user then twm is started. I
> found out that it is a normal fallback behavior of the XSession
> script, I think, in /etc/X11/[something]/ , if it doesn't find
> anything in the user's home directory and then in XSESSION global
> variable.

The file in your home directory is ".xinitrc" - just drop in `exec
startkde` or your favorite windowmanager's executable.

--

Alec Berryman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-key DFB366F2