On Mon, 24 Mar 2003 02:44:40 -0800
"Ralph F. De Witt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Mon, 24 Mar 2003 02:28:25 -0500
> Seth Chandler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > > Being a newbie and not sure I will ask given the above hardware
> > > configuration is there anything in the kernel configuration that
> > > should be added or removed as it is causing a problem. And what is
> > > a good way to get this cleared up. Thanks for all your help so
> > > far.
> > >
> > > Ralph
> Mike and Collins:
> In looking around, I found on this machine the kernel is
> gentoo-2.4.20-r1/2 and the sources are gentoo-sources-2.4.20-r1/2, but
> the headers are 2.4.19. I was told that the kernel and headers had to
> always be the same version to compile correctly. Could this be the
> problem? Also what is the difference between the three files kernel,
> kernel sources, and headers?

The kernel is what you build from the kernel sources; what you name it
is up to you.  The kernel sources are the current version of the sources
that you use to build a new kernel.  The kernel headers are not used by
the kernel build process (see kernel sources), but rather are the header
files from the kernel used to build glibc and other things.  Normally,
you do not change the kernel headers once glibc has been built.

--
Collins