On Mon, 24 Mar 2003 11:12:30 -0800
"Ralph F. De Witt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Mon, 24 Mar 2003 05:51:55 -0700
> Collins Richey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 24 Mar 2003 02:44:40 -0800
> > "Ralph F. De Witt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > > Mike and Collins:
> > > In looking around, I found on this machine the kernel is
> > > gentoo-2.4.20-r1/2 and the sources are gentoo-sources-2.4.20-r1/2, but
> > > the headers are 2.4.19. I was told that the kernel and headers had to
> > > always be the same version to compile correctly. Could this be the
> > > problem? Also what is the difference between the three files kernel,
> > > kernel sources, and headers?
> > >

> > The kernel is what you build from the kernel sources; what you name it
> > is up to you.  The kernel sources are the current version of the sources
> > that you use to build a new kernel.  The kernel headers are not used by
> > the kernel build process (see kernel sources), but rather are the header
> > files from the kernel used to build glibc and other things.  Normally,
> > you do not change the kernel headers once glibc has been built.
> >
> > --
> > Collins
> >

> > --
> >
> Collins:
> Thanks for that bit of information, it helps me understand the process. Now back to
> the original questions. Why am I not able to complete the kernel build process on
> this machine using either the gentoo-kernel-2.4.20-r1 or r2 kernel and sources? What
> is wrong?
>
> Ralph

To All:
Thanks for your help. I solved the problem by unmergeing and deleting all the kernel
directories in /usr/src/ and in /lib/module. I then cleaned out /boot of all files
except for the bzImage file. I then emerged the gentoo-sources 2.4.20-r2 kernel and
followed the direction carefull and lo and behold I have a new shinny compiled kernel.
Thanks for your help.

Ralph