On Thu, Mar 27, 2003 at 01:05:50PM +1100, Mark Saunders wrote:
> its definitely IDE because it has two serial ATA IDE
> drives plugged into it.
> it's an onboard controller on an ASUS motherboard.

   Okay, what precise chip is it?  You can usually get this from /proc/pci,
which will list a RAID controller.

   I, for example, have an ASUS A7V8X (Athlon/K7 board, Via chipset, 8X AGP);
in /proc/pci is a line which reads:

RAID bus controller: PCI device 105a:3376 (Promise Technology, Inc.) (rev 2).

This represents the Promise 30376, which is mostly the same as the 30375,
also known as the Promise SATA150 TX2plus.  Unfortunately, there is no
Linux driver for the 30376, and the binary-only one Promise supplies for
the 30375 is hard-coded per distribution to fit on things like Red Hat 8.0.
Promise doesn't support the 30376 directly because that's an OEM chip;
you're supposed to get the drivers from ASUS.  (Which doesn't have RAID
drivers for Linux yet, last I checked.)

   Anyhow, the newer Promise chipsets aren't very well handled yet.  And
we can't really answer your question for sure without knowing what you're
actually using.