On Thu, Mar 27, 2003 at 05:49:12PM +1100, Mark Saunders wrote:
> I have an ASUS A7V8X motherboard with an onboard Promise PDC20376
> controller.

   So it is the same board I have.

   Take a look at the kernel-traffic list: RAID is archived at:
<http://kt.zork.net/kernel-traffic/topics/Disk_Arrays-_RAID.html>
The two specific threads mentioning the 20376 are at:
  31 Dec 2002: <http://kt.zork.net/kernel-traffic/kt20030106_199.html#9>
and
  27 Feb 2003: <http://kt.zork.net/kernel-traffic/kt20030309_208.html#13>
the latter has a link to:
  12 Feb 2003: <http://kt.zork.net/kernel-traffic/kt20030223_206.html#6>
which contains Andre Hedrick's comments on trying to get the documentation
from Promise.  Andre is one of the principal authors of the IDE subsystem
in Linux.  To wit: 'I count the number of fingers I have before and after I
shake hands with the folks in their camp. If I get an extra, I feel sorry
for the poor bastard who was there before me.'

In other words, don't hold your breath on getting support in the forseeable
future.

Promise does supply a closed-source driver for the 20375 chipset, if you
can shoehorn it into your kernel and get it past the detection stage to
make it think it wants a 20376 instead of a 20375.  I have no experience
with this.