emmm....A generally less expensive, and easier solution to using 4
ethernet cards would be to use a hub or a switch (switches allow
full-duplex operation and generally result in better network
performance).  I've seen 4-port switches for as little as a dollar
or two, and good name brand 7-port switches for $30 recently.  Unless
you have some good reason to do this the way you have, I would really
recommend you purchase a switch, as it would reduce configuration
nightmares (and also leave you with a port into which you can plug your
modem).

-rex