I just emerged Samba 2.2.8 and get funny error messages when I try to add users using smbpasswd:

# smbpasswd -a xyz
New SMB password:
Retype new SMB password:
fetch_ldap_pw: no ldap secret retrieved!
ldap_connect_system: Failed to retrieve password for  from secrets.tdb
fetch_ldap_pw: no ldap secret retrieved!
ldap_connect_system: Failed to retrieve password for  from secrets.tdb
Failed to add entry for user xyz.
Failed to modify password entry for user xyz
#

Samba on Gentoo obviously uses LDAP for authentication. Is there any way to stop if from doing that? Or, alternatively, is there a good, short guide for setting up LDAP with pam authentication and Samba for Gentoo?

If I go the LDAP route, I want to use it for most if not all authentication, be it Samba or shell.

/roc