Hello folks -

I've been using Gentoo pretty happily for a few months now. Every now and then
I check to see what has been added to the stable packages and update ones
that are out of date. I was happy to see KDE 3.1.1 was out so I emerged
kde-3.1.1.

DISASTER! It left me with four different KDEs, 3.04, 3.0.5a, 3.1 and 3.1.1.
3.04 and 3.05a worked, but 3.1 and 3.1.1 did not. It seems as though a path
is set up wrong, as it complains non-stop about not finding things: missing
mime agents, not understanding protocols, and hollering that my version of
kio was way too old. I wrote up details as bug #18065, and I figured that I
would be the first of a long chain of complainers. BUT, it seems like I am
the only one that had the problem. I have not seen anything on this list
about it.

I went back to KDE 3.1 by doing an unmerge on all of the 3.1.1 packages and
then doing emerge <kde3.1.1. It takes my about 24 hours to compile KDE, so I
do not want to just try again.

Does anybody have any ideas as to what went wrong?

-Pete-