Alec Berryman wrote:
Hi -

I'm using mm-sources-2.5.66-r1 (2.5.66-mm1) and am trying to get the
nvidia kernel drivers working (nvidia-kernel-1.0.4191-r2).  The
nvidia-kernel compiles file, but I cannot modprobe:

---------
(snip)
---------

So it seems my kernel modprobe is messed up.  However, I seem to have
everything correctly compiled in:

---------
(snip)
---------

I've recompiled modutils while booted into the mm-sources kernel, and
have run "make modules && make modules_install". What have I missed? Oh, and I guess the other question - does anyone have the NVIDIA drivers
running under mm-sources, or am I wasting my time?

Hi Alec,

It appears that you are using modutils. The 2.5.x kernels (starting with 2.5.4x or thereabouts i believe) require module-init-tools. The nice thing about module-init-tools is that they also keep a copy of the older modutils package around, incase you switch between 2.4 and 2.5 kernels.

One thing you must watch for is upgrading. modutils and module-init-tools pretty much overlap, so if portage sees it fit to upgrade modutils, you will want to be sure to remerge module-init-tools as well. I'm not sure if it is safe to remove modutils, however. Maybe somebody else knows for sure.

Also: I have nvidia drivers working fine with 2.5, however I have not tried the latest nvidia drivers, but have heard both good and bad about them on both 2.4 and 2.5 kernels.

-Chris I