Hi Carlos,

Nachricht vom Freitag, 4. April 2003, 00:50:08:

> Hi Timo,

> On April 3, 2003 10:09 am, Timo Boettcher wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>>   In the last GWN
>>   http://www.gentoo.org/news/en/gwn/20030401-newsletter.xml#doc_chap8
>>   there was something on how to sync the local clock using rdate.
>>   Whats the difference to using ntpdate?

> In my understanding ntpdate is now deprecated in favor of being rolled into
> ntpd itself.  So it should really not be used anymore.
So ntpdate will cease to exist? Any hint on why?

> Also, in my understanding, rdate is a one time thing when you execute it.
As is ntpdate...
> And must be put into a cron job to constantly keep your clock
> accurate.
> Whereas  ntpd is a daemon that can be started and kept running.
> Doing the work of keeping your clock accurate automatically as it
> interogates time servers for you.
But rdate/ntpdate do this, too or is there a difference between them?
ntpd can make the clock go faster/slower for continuosly going right.
Or did I get this wrong?
Also I heard once that use of all r* programs should be carefully
considered because of security reasons... does rdate count to this
group?

 Timo