> I've installed gentoo successfully several times before, but this time
> I'm getting the following when I try to boot the first time:
>
> VFS: Cannot open root device "hda3" or 03:03

It's a total guess as I've seen something similar to this on Redhat,
although not with ext2 partitions. Is the 03:03 part a clue? Is that saying
something like it's looking for /dev/hdd? I might have expected it to say
00:03.

In my case it was getting confused about my specific EIDE controller on an
Asus A7V266 MB. To get around it I had to lie about what drive it was to get
it to boot and told it I was booting off of hdd. This only happened when we
built our own kernel from kernel.org. Redhat's sources managed to get it
right somehow.

If it is something like this, the clue will be a bit higher up in the
console while booting. Look at what drives it says it found. Does it see hda
or something else?

I could be completely wrong about this.

Best of luck,
Mark