If you are using qmail, consdier qconfirm:  It requires you to expose
your qmail to the net but as long as you have an always on connection,
it is easy to do with dyndns.org.  It virtual elminates SPAM, because
only those that have explicitly responded to a confirmation request, or
you have explicitly placed in a whitelist, are allowed to delivered to
your inbox.

You can find an ebuild compressed tarball here:

http://bugs.gentoo.org/attachment.cgi?id=12442&action=view

Put it in a PORTAGE_OVERLAY_DIR and just emerge.

Lincoln