I just emergerd the "camstream" package for frame capture with my
logitek quickcam. The driver is loaded and the application runs as root
I have opened up permissions to camstream as below:

# ls -l /usr/bin/camstream
-rwxrwxrwx    1 root     wheel      369236 May 27 14:12
/usr/bin/camstream

But, although I can start the program as user, it doesn't find the
camera. I suppose I need to give user permission to the device but
darned if I can find the device name. below is pertinant lines from
dmesg:

Linux video capture interface: v1.00
usb.c: registered new driver quickcam
USB Quickcam Class ff SubClass ff idVendor 46d idProduct 840
USB Quickcam camera found using: $Id: quickcam.c,v 1.111 2003/01/27
09:41:03 tuukkat Exp $
quickcam: probe of HDCS1000 sensor = 08 00 id: 08
quickcam: HDCS1000 sensor detected

I did find this:
ls -l /dev/v4l/video0
crwxrwx---    1 root     video     81,   0 Dec 31  1969 /dev/v4l/video0

(user is in group "video")
I must have overlooked something...
--
Regards, Ernie