That was the thing I was looking for 'regenworld'. Forgot about that command, even though used it before. I just generally use it though when portage sometimes loses track of some of the packages I have installed.

Would think you could test it by renaming the portage directory to something else. Then see if it will recreate it. Don't think there is any hard link that would prevent you from just renaming it back to portage if regenerating it failed.