Heschi,
   I think this may work out OK. We'll see. I never erased the original
Gentoo kernel, so I presume that it is still under /boot on /dev/hda8.
Presumably I can make a grub.conf file on this floppy with just the commands
from the original Gentoo install page and probably get the original kernel
up and running.

   Could I also use this floppy to install and configure grub on /dev/hda8
to make that partition the one I boot from? That would be wonderful if it
works. That way I could remove system Commander, boot Gentoo first, and then
chain load to Windows as per lots of instructions out there.

   Do you see any problems with this strategy?

   Thanks for all the help.

Cheers,
Mark