> I've put my normal user into the USB group and I was wondering what else I
> need to do to access my camera and USB port(s).
>
> Anyone run across this problem before? I'm running gentoo 1.4rc4 fully
> updated.

Somewhere on the 'net, I found an app called usb_perms.  I can't remember
where I found it - it was likely off of the USB digital camera howto on
tldp.org (great site for learning things!).

Here is the init.d script that I wrote to control it at bootup:
--------------------/etc/init.d/usb_perms------------------------------
#!/sbin/runscript

start() {
        ebegin "Starting usb-perms"
        /usr/local/sbin/usb_perms -d
        eend $? "Failed to start usb-perms"
}

stop() {
        ebegin "Stopping usb-perms"
        kill $(cat /var/run/usb_perm.pid)
        eend $? "Failed to stop usb-perms"
}

Stick this in /etc/init.d/, chmod +x it, then do an rc-update add usb_perms
default then start it up.

Unfortunately, I can't tell you _where_ I found usb_perms.  I've got a copy of
the tarball lying around - give me a private email if you can't find it and
want it.

> Thanks,
> Robert
MIKE