On Tue, 03 Jun 2003 13:45:20 -0600, Carlos C. Gonzalez wrote:

> When I first installed Gentoo about 3 months ago I was impressed with
> it's speed running on my Pentium III 500 MHz computer.  Now I find
> myself sometimes tapping the desk with my fingers so to speak waiting
> for certain things to happen.

So, when did Gentoo release a Windows distribution? Did I miss the press
release? ;o)

> All in all my Gentoo system seems to be getting slower and slower.  Can
> anyone suggest things I can do to 1) speed it up again and 2) reduce or
> eliminate the use of the swap file (I know it's possible because for a
> long time I ran without the swap file EVER being used at all - and I
> paid attention to it quite a bit).

Something is wrong all right - this box ususally does 1 month or more
between reboots (due to hardware upgrades and/or kernel recompiles) since
it was installed a month ago, and I have never noticed high swapping (with
512mb of ram).

High memoy usage (stated) is to be expected because of the way the memory
management system works and doesn't really mean much.

What do these lines from 'cat /proc/meminfo' look like (examples from
mine):

MemTotal:       514452 kB
MemFree:          8460 kB
SwapTotal:     1052248 kB
SwapFree:      1007652 kB

> Short of reformatting my hard drive and reinstalling Gentoo that is :)
> I understand that under Linux there is no such thing as a defragmenting
> program (at least not yet).

Most Linux file systems shouldn't fragment under anything except
exceptional loading (>>99.999% capacity).

> Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Use top to isolate which app is leaking memory all over the place and kill
it off.

:o)

--
The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds.
The pessimist fears this is true.